Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Read this before taking a crap in the woods

I was out walking The Big Boy this morning. As the weather cools he's been going a little further. A couple of times I've already had him to the end of the side-road, and that hasn't happened since May. Once there's snow on the ground he'll be happily galumpping right to the end every day.

The guy across the way came by with a round bale on the front of his John Deere, heading out to the pasture where he's grazing a couple of dozen head. Ya, I know that doesn't make sense. If they're grazing, why do you have to bring them hay? Always happens the last few weeks of the season. Once the snow flies they'll drive them back to the home farm to winter.

He stops in the middle of the road and shuts off the motor, and we catch up on what's new. Last week was deer season and I wondered how he'd fared out. Pretty good, it seems. His party got three, including a 12 point swamp buck.

Not being a hunter, that doesn't mean much to me, but he seemed quite chuffed.

"I've seen it on my trail cam, but I never thought we'd get it."

Trailcam?

"Ya, a little solar-powered camera. You just spike it to a tree and you're good. I can watch it on my phone. I've seen him in the marsh across from your place, and down by Bass Lake."

So you move that camera around?

"Hell no. I got a dozen of 'em. Got them everywhere. I can see all the pastures right there on my phone, and all the deer yards too. By God, one time down where the Bruce Trail meets the north pasture, some hiker takes a crap right in front of the camera. That's way more than you need to see when your checking on your cattle, I tell ya. What an asshole. Next time somebody does that to me I'm gonna put them on the internet."


2 comments: