Saturday, August 6, 2011

The emancipation of the slave: a play in one act

Cast

Big Tom.............slave
Massa................slaveowner
Clem..................overseer

(casting suggestions: the reader may make certain assumptions re gender/racial profiles. I suggest the director challenge those assumptions. Use your imagination.)

Setting

The play should be set in a stereotypical slave's home, a shack more suitable for livestock than human habitation.

Scene l, Act l

(Big Tom is sitting on his bed, reading by the light of a candle. there is a knock at the door)

Big Tom: (opening door) Massa?

Massa:  Big Tom! Good day to ya boy! I've got good news and bad news. The good news, Tom, is that you're free!

Big Tom: Free?

Massa: Yessereee my boy, free at last! The bad news... well, you tell him the bad news, Clem.

Clem: (clearing throat) Well, uh, Tom, I mean Big Tom... The bad news is that you're gonna have to move.

Big Tom: (bewildered) Move? Huh.... Massa, what do you....

Massa:  I mean move, boy. You're a free man now. Move anywhere you want. I need this shack for the oxen.  Swing around in the spring and maybe I can find you some work for a few weeks. No promises, mind you, but maybe....

Big Tom: (interrupting)  Move?  Move where?...

Massa:  Now don't be gettin' all stupid on me here Tom boy, your a free man, boy. Now get the fuck outa here. (pointing at door. Tom, bewildered, slowly leaves shack as Massa and Clem watch. Long pause.)

Massa:  Goddammit Clem, I just wish I could free the oxen and have 'em come back in the spring.

Clem:  Oooohhhhh, that would be perfect, boss!

 

                                                              The End

No comments:

Post a Comment