Wednesday, September 7, 2022

I own nothing and I'm happy.

Folks think I own a house and a car. Truth is, there's a mortgage on the house, and the banks let me live here as long as I keep up the payments. Ditto for the car. So how am I happy? Here's the secret; I don't give a fuck. Worst case scenario, I'll be living in a tent on a sidewalk in Seattle, but let's look on the bright side. No mortgage. No car payment. Food banks and do-gooders rubbing my back is a small price to pay. I am fortified by the immortal words of the AA serenity prayer. "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference." When my probation expired I didn't have to go to those meetings anymore, but those words have stayed with me for nigh fifty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment