Wednesday, March 20, 2024

What to think about while trying not to think about genocide

Virtually the entire world is aware there is a genocide unfolding in Gaza. Mostly, we avert our eyes and change the subject. This is where mindfulness comes in. Mindfulness is all about living in the moment. Not just living “in” it, but literally living it into existence. You may need a toke and a pint to figure out that last part, but trust me, once you embrace mindfulness, you’re on the road to the Palace of Wisdom. Since in this particular moment I don’t live anywhere near the Middle East, mindfulness demands I focus on what’s real and right in front of me. That would be my faithful companion, Bruno the Italian mastiff. Truth be told, he’s not all that faithful. He’s only faithful when Mum’s not around to lure him away from me. As soon as she shows up, it’s see ya later alligator. But we do share twenty laps at the dog park every morning after we drop Mum off at work. That’s where Bruno meets his besties. I know the dogs at the dog park way better than I know anybody in Gaza. That’s my excuse for staying silent about a genocide in progress. What’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment