Saturday, April 6, 2024

Spring has sprung at Falling Downs - the buzzards are back

Today I noticed buzzards overhead as I was out on my walk. About eight or so. We'd seen some last weekend when we were in Omemee (hometown of Neil Young, as I learned), but that's a little south of here. Towards evening we had a few hanging around the barn, where they've roosted in years past. I also, for the first time this year, hear frogs singing when I step out on the stoop for a breath of fresh air. And the hootin' and tootin' of the Sandhill Cranes has been going on for a few weeks now. The wee birds are coming back too. Some of them overwintered near our birdfeeders. That's not a good strategy because we are not reliable hosts in the winter... which is retarded when you think about it. Why would you fill your feeders religiously in summer, when there's plenty to eat, and neglect them in the winter? Because it's too friggin' cold to sit on the stoop watching the birds in winter, that's why!

No comments:

Post a Comment