Friday, February 2, 2018

Celebrating American Culture

Ya, I know...  WTF is "American culture?"

American culture is a lot of things. But generally speaking, when we talk about American culture, we tend to forget about these folks.

That's a video worth watching if you're interested in American culture. The Lake Lanier Poker Run is high culture in the deep South. I didn't see a black face till about the sixteen minute mark, and I think those guys were spectators, not boat pilots.

Didn't see a lot of fat chicks either.

What I saw a lot of is fat middle-aged white dudes and skinny young women and million dollar fast boats.

So what's wrong with that?

Nothing.

There may be a dearth of black faces in this celebration of excess, but let's get real; there's more to owning a million dollar boat than being born white. Otherwise every trailer park honky would have one. Speaking as a honky who is a lot closer to the trailer park than I am to a million dollar boat, I don't find this unreasonable.

Not that I have a problem with the boats. To a certain extent I understand the allure of a fast boat. I get twin 502's in a 32 foot Cigarette. I get four 400R Mercs hanging off the transom of a 40 foot Fountain...

But when I hear these guys talking about sixteen fifty Mercs I gotta admit I don't even know what they're talking about.

So watch that video and celebrate this obscure corner of American culture, where nubile young women flock to middle aged fat dudes and black folks serve drinks.

And remember, this is all for charity. They got 300 boats registered. From what I saw, the average boat was a million bucks and tow vehicles were $100,000 plus. Overall you're probably looking at close to half a billion in hardware in that video.

They're hoping to raise $400,000 for charity...


God bless America!





No comments:

Post a Comment