Tuesday, September 22, 2020

RESIST THE SCREEN!

I've had my own screen-resistance program going on. 

Had breakfast with my old pal Kipling at the Teviotdale Truck Stop, which hasn't happened since The Pestilence descended. Chatting with the server, she says at half capacity her boss can barely cover overhead.

Bad time to be in the restaurant business. Good time to be retired with a pension. Best of all, between the drive to Teviotdale and back, not to mention the actual breakfast, I got away from the screen for pretty much half the day!

Kipling and I were congratulating ourselves over the fact that we're able to get together for breakfast decades after we were independently voted "most likely to die before 30" in our respective high schools. No shit. Look it up in the yearbooks if you don't believe me.

Just to clarify about Kipling, he's got more than a touch of the Trump Derangement Syndrome. Not saying he's for Biden, but he hates Trump. It's a real eye-opener for him to listen to his clients down there.

"They think that asshole walks on water!"

 Kipling is one of these rare fucks who, not only does he beat every longevity prediction, but life keeps getting better and better. The Canada-US border is closed, but due to the Department of Homeland Security stamps on his paperwork, he gets to sashay back and forth across the 49th like covid wasn't even a thing.

And two weeks of quarantine when you cross that border? Not when you've got the blessing of the DHS!


That's all a hundred times more interesting than anything I would have seen on my screen had I not made the effort to head out for breakfast.

Managed to keep the resistance going most of the afternoon, too. Instead of burying my face in the laptop, I spent a few hours watching the birds at the feeders and the geese coming and going from the wheat field on the other side of the creek. And the farmer coming and going with his manure spreader... In fact, his trips back to the barnyard for another load pretty much coincided with my trips to the fridge to get another beer.

What to make of that?

Well, nothing if you can't drag yourself away from the computer.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment