Friday, June 11, 2021

Road kill

I was enjoying some quiet time on the stoop last night, when I thought I heard the sound of something getting run over.

I immediately thought snapping turtle. It's egg-laying time for the snappers in these parts. There's something in their genetic make-up that compels them to cross at least one road before laying their eggs, so this is not an unusual occurrence. 

An even greater threat to snapper survival are the raccoons. They dig up the turtle eggs as quick as the turtles can bury them. So imagine my relief this morning, when heading out for my walk, there was a dead raccoon down by the bridge!

Not that you ever want to celebrate the death of any of God's creatures, but I'm with the turtles on this one.


By the time me and Bruno headed out, there were six vultures on the scene, directing traffic and having a picnic at the same time. They wouldn't even have to flap their wings once to glide from the barn to the scene of the crime. 

There was also a solitary seagull standing off to the side, hoping one of the buzzards had some charitable impulses. Cars, trucks, and motorcycles all tooted their horns and applied their brakes for this circus most of the day.

Last time I checked, the vultures were gone, and it was just the seagull and a couple crows picking over what was already well picked over.


Justice for the snappers.




No comments:

Post a Comment