Thursday, May 18, 2023

Pileated woodpecker sighted at Falling Downs

I was chilling on the stoop when a sound something akin to a jackhammer startled me out of my reverie. Gawd damn, if it wasn't a pileated woodpecker! It's been a few years since we last saw one around Falling Downs. It's probably got enough meat on it to be a game bird, but due to its novelty, ie rarity, there's no pileated woodpecker hunting season. There is, however, a turkey hunting season. Just the other day a young lad stopped by to ask permission to hunt my property. Apparently we're in prime turkey hunting territory here. Which is a bit fucked up, because when I was growing up, you'd have to drive five hundred miles south to go turkey hunting. In my lifetime, the turkey's natural habitat has expanded from the Virginias right to the southern shore of Georgian Bay. Blame global warming. I gave him the contact numbers for the other hunting parties on my property, so hopefully they'll compare notes and avoid shooting one another. Here's why that's important. A student told me this story about his grampa. Gramps was an avid deer hunter, and had permission from the landowner to hunt a well-known deer yard, all by himself! Or so he thought. Grampa went all out. Had the deer call and the doe piss, and as an extra bonus, he duct-taped a rack of antlers to his head. What could go wrong? Sure enough, some lucky hunter plugged him just below the antlers. Grampa's last hunting trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment