Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Pot-addled hillbilly defeated by chipmunks, again

I used to think chipmunks were cute and cuddly. Not that I ever cuddled one, but getting them to eat peanuts out of your hand on a camping trip was always a feel-good moment. I felt less good about them the winter they invaded the house. They'd take one or two bites out of everything in the fruit bowl in the kitchen, and leave a few chipmunk turds in payment. At that point they're not cute anymore; they're just another rodent. Between Doublewide culling the chipmunk population and me applying copius amounts of foam insulation into every nook and crevice through which they might enter the house, we were able to beat back the invaders. Alas, they're not finished with me yet. I've been a bit slow in getting my herb garden going this year. Tucked 24 seeds into my table-top green house and within 36 hours 18 had germinated! ! was so pleased, I put them out on the back stoop so they could get a little sun. Then I forgot about them and left them out overnight. By morning, the chipmunks had uprooted all 18 seedlings to eat whatever was left of the seeds. Back to square one.

No comments:

Post a Comment