Thursday, October 5, 2023

The slobification of graduation

I remember my high school graduation. It happened seven years after I started grade nine. I'd dropped out for a couple of years, because I was too cool for school. After life kicked me in the balls once or twice I decided maybe I'd be better off with a high school diploma after all. For graduation I wore a suit. That's what you did in the day. You got dressed up for special occassions. Check out the pictures of the crowds in Dallas as JFK's motorcade rolled by. Everybody was wearing their "Sunday best," as we used to call it, even though it was Friday. You honoured God by dressing up. You honoured the President by dressing up. You paid respect to your fellow grads by dressing up. Well, that's all gone for a shit. Saw the pics from the grad ceremony at the high school I retired from a few years ago. Ya, a few kids went to the trouble, but by and large, the kids who wore pjs to class every day, wore them to graduation too. Maybe I'm being too judgemental. Maybe some of the pj kids bought new jammies specially for grad night.

No comments:

Post a Comment