Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Truck shopping

I've had a new truck on my mind for a while now. The nineteen year old F-150 has a few issues. Do I address the issues, or do I bite the bullet and buy a new truck?

That's the problem. That ain't a bullet you're gonna bite, it's a 500 pound Paveway guided bomb... and it's gonna lead to you spending on a truck what you would have spent on a house just a few years ago. There's a nice Sierra sitting on the lot at the local GM dealer for a mere $87,000. Plus tax, of course, so we're looking at a 100k touch here. You'd have to be fucked in the head to take that seriously.

But people buy this shit.

Scrap the luxury floormats and another dozen or so superfluous add-ons and you can get a Sierra for half that, but that's still serious money. And even though the manufacturers are all-in with zero percent financing for the rest of your life, that's still seven or eight hundred dollars a month for the rest of your life, which would represent a significant impairment of my discretionary spending options for the rest of my life.

Fuck that!

So back to the F-150.

Needs a power steering pump, brakes, and a set of tires. The driver's side door should probably be replaced. Other than that she's a good solid truck. All in, I figure I'm looking at about three or four payments on a new truck to have the old girl fully road-worthy.


Think I just talked myself out of a new truck.



2 comments: