Sunday, January 3, 2021

Bruno Briefing: Week 2

 The big boy is making himself at home. 

Still not keen on getting in the car. I suspect that's because his limited car rides have ended badly, as in being dropped off and abandoned. As he grows to understand that every car ride ends at home, I'm optimistic that his reluctance will diminish.

He's getting comfortable on our walks. We've made it to the end of the Burgess side-road a few times now, which is my normal 5k route. Along the way, she's met some neighbourhood dogs. A couple of Aussie sheep-dogs who come out to bark, but keep their distance. Then Bella, who used to join me on my walks even when I had the entire gang with me, Lucy, Gus, and Boomer, and then Phil too. Bella would be the optional hound who joined our pack whenever we walked by her place.

Even after the last survivor, dear Boomer, went to her reward, Bella, if she was outside, would join me on my walk. She's a spitting image of the family dog we had way back when my folks first got their place in Elora, or more precisely, just on the other side of the railroad tracks that defined the Elora boundary. Husso was his name. I think of him every time Bella joins us for a walk.

Anyway, Bella has come out to see big Bruno, but hasn't joined us yet. Towards the end of the road Bruno has met Sophie a couple of times. Sophie is a rescue dog just like him, and she belongs to my old pal Harvard, who got his handle after dropping out of said institution to become an obscure high-school teacher in this woebegone backwater. 

Since the first Bruno report, I've gained some clarity re the jogger Bruno took after last week. I'd correctly assumed he couldn't be a local. His parents have a place at the end of the Burgess side-road, and he's been hiding out there for the lockdown. He's got New Brunswick plates on his car and I hear he's a doctor or something, but that's the kind of weirdo who'll jog by your isolated country home in the dark.

According to the Farm Manager, Bruno snores louder than I do. This has caused her to bail the conjugal bed in favour of one of our numerous spare bedrooms on more than one occasion. As much as I love the dog, he's not who I want to share my bed with.

Right now, he's snoozing in front of the fireplace. We've done our 5k for the day, and that's pretty much all a mastiff is gonna give ya. We'll do it again tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment