Saturday, November 4, 2017

Immigrant parents

The Farm Manager was more than pleased to inform me the other day that the most junior of our Juniors was carrying a 92% average in his second year at U of T.

Hmm... 92%?

On some level, I gotta say I'm kinda proud.

On another level, I gotta say "so what happened to the other 8%?"

That's what the FM's parents would have said to her.

That's what my parents said to me.

That's what responsible immigrant parents, no matter where they're from, say to their children to this day. If you're the child of immigrant parents, I'm guessing you can vouch for that.


Message to immigrant parents; if your kid only gets a 70 or a 60, or, God forbid, flunks out altogether, don't worry about it.

It's fine. Everything is OK!

That's called "assimilation."

And there's nothing wrong with that.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Neumann! Be so very proud! Good on Junior! My niece, coincidentally, is also running 92% in her fifth year at UBC. She is also continues as Captain of her varsity volleyball team, which won Canadian National's, at once was, Maple Leaf Gardens in March 2017. She wants to enter Medical School, but this is an impossible dream here in BC; 92% doesn't cut it at when over 40% enrollment at UBC are sponsored Overseas Chinese. You read it right. Over 40%. So, because she cannot make the requisite 96-98%, she is now looking to Europe to Med School. Thank-you, Doug Saunders....

    ReplyDelete