Saturday, February 5, 2022

Boat shopping in winter

I've been boat shopping for fifty years, and haven't bought one yet. The 15' Coleman canoe, under the snow at the side of the driveway, doesn't count.

Nor does that 14' Arkansas Traveller that fell into my clutches for a couple of summers. It had a somewhat temperamental 38 horse Johnson on the back. I took it for a toot around the Cargill Mill Pond, and we stalled out in the middle, which is about fifty feet from shore. Then I ripped out the pull-cord while trying to restart it.

I fixed that, after wading to shore while pulling the boat behind me with the anchor rope. Last I heard, after I lent the motor to my cousin Klaus for the back of his sailboat, it now resides at the bottom of Georgian Bay. Seems he was able to save his boat, but my outboard motor had to go. That was twenty-five years ago, and cousin Klaus hasn't ever said a word about compensation. 

What am I gonna do? Start a family feud over a sixty year old Johnson outboard?

But I digress.

There's nothing like spending a cold winter evening in front of the fire, perusing the listings at Boat Dealers dot com. on your laptop.

I like the idea of a power boat, because waiting three days for the wind to pick up seems like a very long three days.

Then again, they're talking about $200/bbl oil, which translates into a thousand bucks to fill up a 26' cruiser. That's when you become one of those people who hang out at the marina weeks on end but their boat never goes anywhere.

From what I've seen, those folks have a fair bit of fun. 

You get a forty year old 40 foot power cruiser for $40k, and it's your summer cottage. Your square footage is like a downtown condo, and the marina fees are about the same as your taxes would be on that condo. Once a year you limp your summer home around the harbour, just to prove it's a boat, and you are in fact a legitimate sea captain.


Or maybe I'll just get that 14' inflatable I can tow behind the Toyota. I hear it's a rocket when you hang a 60 hp outboard off the back. 





No comments:

Post a Comment