Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Pure puppy bliss

Both me and the Farm Manager grew up with dogs.

She had a pup who did the mail route with the mailman, and then wandered home.

I grew up with a series of German shepherd pups. My dear mother had always loved those dogs and went to the trouble of registering as a CKC breeder.

As much as we love all the dogs we knew before, we both love Bruno like nobody else.

He had an inauspicious start here. Rescued him from a shelter two km down the road. That wouldn't be a place an Italian mastiff would show up, but apparently he's a runt in the world of mastiff breeders, and had to be ditched.

We're more than delighted with what we pulled out of the ditch.

There were some early interactions with other dogs that did not go well. That's when I started taking the Big Boy to the Owen Sound dog park.

He managed to get on the wrong side of Cooper and Lilly in the first five minutes.

But he's been making up for that faux pas ever since.

Bruno doesn't realize he's the biggest dog in the dog park. His best pals are the wee pups like Bucky, a miniature spaniel, and Bruce, a six-week-old black lab.

Another thing he doesn't realize is he's now on the Facebook page for the local dog park. I wouldn't have known, but the Farm Manager is on Facebook, and she tells me the Big Boy is a rock star there.

Whatever. 

What I know for sure; this is the smartest canine I've ever had stewardship of. (You never actually "own" them). He's made peace with the realities of dog park life. 



And he makes me laugh out loud 100 times a day.

Good boy, Bruno!



No comments:

Post a Comment