Sunday, February 6, 2022

Snowmobile trails are open

I know this because when I step out on the stoop for a breath of fresh air, in addition to the howling of the coyotes, I also hear the howling of the snowmobiles.

To be fair, snowmobiles don't howl nearly as obnoxiously now as they did twenty years ago, when you had two-stroke triples with expansion chamber exhausts splitting the heavens.

The snowmobile trail shares the Kinch Sideroad with my hiking trail. There's nothing like a hike in the pristine woods, breathing in that fresh forest air, and then eight snowmobiles go by, polluting ears and lungs simultaneously. It's a real buzz kill.

At the same time, I get the attraction. It's got a motor and goes fast. What's not to like?

I remember back in the first snowmobile wave, before there was such a thing as a trail network, taking an Arctic Cat from Guelph to Fergus, through fields and on back-roads. It was a fun adventure, and I can see where folks can get seriously caught up in it.

The real serious ones are into 300 hp mountain sleds now.

You read about them every avalanche season



No comments:

Post a Comment