Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Running from Chicago to Baku

To self isolate, no doubt. After all, Baku is the capital of Azerbaijan, where they've had a mere eight COVID-19 deaths thus far. They must be closing in on fifty million in the States by now. And Baku has McDonalds and wi-fi and stuff, so it just might be that cosy hidey-hole where a well-heeled Yank can chill for a few months.

These musings were triggered by a vapour trail that appeared in our skies about five this afternoon. The day started out a little nasty here; overcast, a cool wind, and the threat of rain. By mid-afternoon things had cleared up, and I found a sunny spot out of the wind where I could get a little vitamin D on my arms.

That's when I noticed the vapour trail. It was one of those south-to-north flights that are typically heading somewhere in Europe. I check it out on FlightTracker, and found I'm watching flight AZG784 on route from Chicago to Baku, Azerbaijan!

My first thought right after wtf, was the above scenario. Then I looked up the carrier, Silkway West Airlines. Check out their Wikipedia page. Hmm... private cargo carrier based in Baku, planes registered in Bermuda, serving anywhere the US Army has a base... that's got the familiar CIA smell radiating off it like crazy!


Where's Bruce Cockburn when you need him?



No comments:

Post a Comment