Thursday, May 21, 2020

When you're bored out of your tree, go for a bicycle ride

Took my own advice today. Headed out for a spin around Bass Lake.

Made the big hill going up the escarpment without putting my feet on the ground. Yay for me! Took a left at the Wolsley corner. That place used to be a gas station back in the day. Then it was a bakery. Now it's a couple of mobile homes falling into decrepitude.

But what isn't?

A couple miles down County Road 17 I take a left onto South Bass Lake Road. That road skirts the south end of Bass Lake. That's mostly seasonal homes with a few year-rounders mixed in. Not too many signs of life, although somebody's dog chased me for a bit. That's something that doesn't happen when you're on your laptop all afternoon.

There's a guy on this road who's a bit of a local legend. Commutes from Toronto in his own float plane, or at least he used to. I'd know because he'd always circle over my place when coming in for a landing.

Once you're past cottage country, the road gradually morphs into what might be called a "trail." In fact, at times I was literally cycling along the Bruce Trail, but for the most part it was ATV and snowmobile trails.

It was one of those bright blue sky sunshiny days when I just had to get out of the house. There's nothing edifying about what's on your screen these days, be it your phone or your computer or your TV.

An afternoon on a bicycle is worth so much more.



No comments:

Post a Comment