Saturday, August 8, 2020

Karma or Justice?

Fair warning: teacher story to follow.

One morning, well before show time, a student came to my room half hysterical.

"Mr Neumann, I don't know what to do. I think I'm gonna go to jail." She was convulsed in sobs. At times like this, all you can do is listen to them.

"Me and my friend were down at the liquor store, and we got this guy to get a bottle for us..."

Okee-dokee. I think I'm getting the picture. Doesn't look too promising.

"And  then he walked us home.... and then he wanted to come up to our place..."

Yup, of course he did, you idiot.

"...and he just wouldn't go away, so me and my friend smashed a bottle on his head, and then we kicked him down the stairs..."

Alright. The picture ain't getting any brighter, but it's my job to keep listening.

"... and I'm already on probation and now I'm gonna get charged because he went to the hospital and they called the police... OH NO!!!  I'm going to JAIL!!!..." whereupon she dissolved into a heap of blubbering jello.

Hmm...

I offer her a tissue from my "got a issue have a tissue" Kleenex box. She grabs the whole box.

"Listen to me. Look at me. Calm down. I think you're OK. Stop blubbering.

Some older guy bought booze for a couple of under-age girls. When he was asked politely he refused to leave their place. You were scared.

Think about it, kid. Do you think this guy is gonna tell this story to the cops? He's in way deeper shit than you if this story comes out. You got nothing to worry about!"

And she didn't.


Just another example of how I helped kids figure out life.





No comments:

Post a Comment