Saturday, March 6, 2021

Where oh where did my Bitcoin go?

I'll fess up right off the top; I don't get crypto.

I had a colleague in the math department who tried to explain it to me. Apparently he was into it at the very beginning. He liquidated his Bitcoin position at fifteen cents. Now it's over fifty thousand bucks.

But he was never able to explain to me what crypto actually is.

Here's what I know for sure. Crypto lives in the clouds. When you trade real actual cash for Bitcoin, you're putting your faith in those clouds, owned and operated by the likes of Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates.

If you trust Bill and Jeff to look out for your interests, well, caveat emptor, as the Italians used to say.

But quite aside from that, the nation state that provides safe haven for these pirates is also buffing up its nuclear arsenal for the coming show-down with those who would defy its authority. The tsunami of electromagnetic radiation that will ensue when the first nuclear warheads explode is guaranteed to wipe out all digital infrastructure everywhere. 


Including the cloud you put your life's savings in.


Which is why you should buy gold. A thousands year record as a storehouse of value trumps all those cryptoscams you've been reading about lately. And a gold bar is guaranteed to survive an electromagnetic radiation event.





No comments:

Post a Comment