Thursday, April 22, 2021

Swordfights on Memory Lane

Here's another missive from my teaching days, since I'm meandering down Memory Lane anyways...

One of the rules the Board had for shop teachers was you couldn't allow students to make weapons. So when I got several project proposals to make swords, I was forced to make some teacherly decisions.

As in, "hey Billy, I can't approve a sword project, but why don't you call it a letter opener and we'll be good to go."

That worked out till that fateful day I was called away to a football game or something. When you're a new teacher they load you up with all kinds of coaching shit you don't have a clue about. I get back, and am mightily chagrined to be called to the office.

Apparently, the supply teacher had reported that my students were having swordfights with their letter openers.


No comments:

Post a Comment