Friday, April 30, 2021

Vulture magic

I think we've got turkey vultures roosting in the barn. We had 30mph winds coming out of the northwest all day, with gusts up to 50, and I watched a gang coming in from the southeast, moving upwind without so much as a flap of the wings. They were bobbin' and weavin' but not flappin'. Imagine that; flying into the wind without flapping your wings!

Nature is amazing!

Later on I watched a few of them coming in with the wind. The only time they flap is when they need to gain altitude. Rest of the time, they're the most efficient glider mother nature ever invented.

The reason I think they're roosting in the barn is because, like everything else around Falling Downs, the barn is falling down. We lost a couple of barn boards in the last wind storm, high up near where the vultures used to sun themselves. 


There must be some kind of government grant I can get for running a turkey vulture conservancy.



No comments:

Post a Comment