Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Traditional spring grass fire a blazing success!

It was a sunny and quiet morning, and I thought it a good time to burn the old newspapers and flyers and cardboard that's been accumulating in the pantry. I got a little more than I bargained for.



Somehow my little fire got out of the fire pit and burned off a good half acre of old grass. I'd been tidying up some debris that fell off the old pine in the front yard, and when I checked on my garbage fire ten minutes later, well!

I rounded up a couple of buckets and kept the flames away from the barn, but other than that, it didn't have anywhere to go and eventually petered out. It had pretty much run its course save for a couple of smouldering fence-posts, when a young fellow who lives up the road stopped in and introduced himself. He's a member of the Intertownship Fire Department and wondered if I'd like him to radio for a crew. By that time I'm sitting in a lawn chair with a beer in my hand. I've heard the landowner gets a whopper of a bill when they're called out, so I declined the offer.

Now I've got "replace burnt fenceposts in corral" added to my to-do list. I've pencilled it in for summer '26.




No comments:

Post a Comment