Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Just like a young girl should?

When I was in high school I had a chance to see the Rolling Stones for twenty bucks. Student council had set up an excursion whereby that twenty would get me a bus ride to Toronto and a ticket to witness history. I passed on the offer, on account that twenty bucks could get me not only the latest Stones album, but a bag of weed and a case of beer to boot. Yup, twenty bucks went a long way back in the day. Fast forward a couple of lifetimes and I’m sharing the math office with a seriously straight-laced teacher of “academic” math. He’s got the serious kids who are studying calc and trig and heading to the finest universities. I’ve got the “at risk” kids who are getting high school credits for the grade 4 math I’m teaching them. They’re heading to prison and poverty unless I can inspire them to change their trajectory. I was shocked when he told me he’d seen the Stones live. Seven times! When you look at a Stones show in the modern era, it looks like a bunch of middle aged folks at a $400 per ticket singalong. No doubt there’s a few math teachers on hand, singing along to Brown Sugar. Who knew fifty years ago that a song celebrating slavery and sexual sadism could ever become singalong material?

No comments:

Post a Comment