Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Coulda easily been so much worse...

I like the way we process a shitty hand as a good thing, because, after all, it could have been so much worse.

We're in a bit of a blizzard in these parts at the moment, and you're not supposed to be on the road unless it's absolutely essential. That's a blizzard lockdown on top of a covid lockdown, in case you're keeping track.

In spite of the double lockdown, we're still allowed out and about for essential services. That in itself is a bit of a lark. In Ontario under covid lockdown I was able to go to the dentist but I can't get a haircut. How retarded is that?

But I digress. I was making an absolutely essential run to the Indian River liquor store. The roads are a sheet of ice under a skim of fresh snow, and whenever the wind picks up it's whiteout city. I'm approaching Indian River corner, slowing up, I got the turn signal on, slowing, slowing, there's a GMC pickup well back, slowing, slowing... he's not slowing, there's traffic oncoming, he sees me, he's skidding and swerving, last oncoming goes by and I hit the gas just as... 

He clipped my bumper.

He was clearly going too fast for the road conditions. 

But in his defence, he said he didn't see my turn signal. Fair enough. Although I brushed off all the windows and lights before I hit the road, driving through ten kilometres of blizzard makes that redundant in a hurry.

We exchanged information and went on our way. I've got a crumpled plastic rear bumper on my Toyota that'll cost thousands to fix. He's got a slightly scuffed front bumper on his GMC. He'll get the scuff out with a half hour of elbow grease.

There you go; needless aggravation for no good reason. How to respond?


EUPHORIA!

Holy shit!? Half a second one way and he would have missed me althogether.

But, half a second the other way, and he would have bunted me into oncoming traffic.


It could have been so much worse!

There's always a silver lining...



No comments:

Post a Comment