Saturday, January 29, 2022

Left libertarian

When I was taking a Macro Economics course at the University of Guelph a few lifetimes ago, I had a TA who felt sorry for me and helped me get through the more mathematically challenging aspects of the curriculum. His name was Tom, and he went on to become a professor of political science at a legitimate university in Canada.

He's the guy who pegged me as a "left libertarian."

I liked the sound of that, but the other libertarians sure don't. "Left" libertarianism  does not exist in the world of the purists. Leftist tendencies are met with everything from condescension to death threats.

But even Hayek waxed wise about how much support is due the indigent. You can hate government all you want, but scraping human feces off your shoes after a walk in the park will make you pay attention to homelessness, and that ain't a problem the market has been able to solve.

Anyway, I'm still in touch with the guy who gave me that label, and we're tentatively planning to hike the Bruce Trail, Wiarton to Tobermory, this summer.

Ya, two guys crowding 70 are gonna tackle the Bruce Trail.

What could go wrong?


Worst case scenario; the big orange helicopter airlifts you to the hospital.




No comments:

Post a Comment