Thursday, January 6, 2022

So Canadian, eh?

Took a drive out to Tuggy's Gas and Variety on the Saugeen Indian Reserve today, to gas up and pick up a little bud. The gas is about ten cents cheaper than off reserve, and their pot shops undercut the government pot shops by half or better.

Not that I need weed, but once in awhile I want a change of pace from my own home-grown. After PM Fluffy legalized the weed 'o wisdom, pretty much every smoke shop, variety store, and gas bar out there opened a cannabis dispensary. At some level I suppose I'm cheating the government out of some tax revenues by patronizing Indigenous establishments, but I see it as doing my part for reconciliation.

Over the years I had quite a few kids from this community pass through my classroom. One of the rare success stories from my time in teaching was how the participation rate for male students has improved. Thirty years ago you didn't see many Indigenous young men in high school. It was almost as if it was a cultural taboo.

The last few years before I retired, there didn't seem to be a stigma anymore, and many of those young men were thriving.

Most homes and businesses displayed "Every Child Matters" banners. You see quite a few of those off reserve too, but not like this. That's a sharp reminder of the long and disgraceful history of Indian-government relations in this country.

One little shop had a sign out front that was almost as big as the store. 

Top line; Every Child Matters.

Second line; Go Leafs Go.


So Canadian, eh!



No comments:

Post a Comment