Thursday, March 24, 2022

Bruno Report: our mastiff guard dog has adjusted well



That's him, guarding his half of the couch, the big half.

Other than that, he doesn't do much. He's a bit of a disappointment in terms of being a walking companion. For many years I had two or even three hounds along for my daily 5k up the side-road. Once in awhile Bella, who lives half-way up that side-road, would join us, making it a four-dog-pack!

After we said good-bye to Boomer, last of the old guard, what I missed most was not having a dog for company, especially on my walk.

Enter Bruno.

He wasn't too bad the first winter. Then when the weather got warm, he seemed to lose interest.

The Farm Manager, who fancies herself something of a mastiff whisperer, told me it's because they don't like the hot weather. Then the cool weather came back, and guess what?

Bruno's enthusiasm for our walk didn't!

I figure that first winter was a fluke. He was still trying to please.

But that was then.

This is now (refer to picture above).

Now we try to please him.

He likes to hang out with his buds at the dog park. Not too long, of course, because 15 minutes of serious romping pretty much tuckers the Big Boy out.

That sets up his daily nap. By "daily," I mean a nap that lasts all day. Interrupted only when he hears me open the fridge.

So that's your Bruno update for now. In case he ever does anything again, I'll let you know. 



No comments:

Post a Comment