Friday, September 20, 2019

Pot-addled hillbilly 'splains negative interest rates for y'all

Ya, I know... the very concept of "negative interest rates" is a bit of a mind-fuck for normal people.

Don't worry. Negative interest rates won't be hitting normal people anytime soon. TD or Royal Bank won't be paying you to take out a mortgage with them, at least not in this lifetime.

Negative interest rates are about super-rich folks who, for the most part, inherited their money. Let's call that "stupid money." It's stupid money because the folks who hold it don't actually have any clue about how to make any.

These are the same folks who made Bernie Madoff a wealthy man.

If they survived Bernie, and have a hundred million or two left, they are really keen on preserving their capital. They are so keen on preserving their capital that they will tell a super-major bank, one they believe is way too big to fail, "hey, I'd be happy to park my money at your bank. In fact, if you guarantee I'll get 99 of my 100 million back by the end of the year, I'd be delighted!"


These are scary times for the super-rich...



No comments:

Post a Comment