Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Marxists for Trump

I see where John McMurtry has a pointed harangue on view at Counterpunch called Why the establishment hates Trump. Seems to me he got a lot of his ideas reading this blog, but I suppose it's possible he came to his conclusions independently.

Back in the day, every university faculty had at least one or two token Marxists on staff, and John was one of the more high-profile Marxists at the University of Guelph. John wasn't the stereotypical dour commie though; he was known far and wide, at least in the local community, as the guy who put the party in The Party.

John used to have pool parties at his place for his fans and students. Apparently some of his guests were intent on toppling the bourgeois convention of wearing swimsuits at a pool party, which caused a bit of a kerfuffle with the neighbours. The ensuing legal case dragged through the courts for years.

What was extra-ironic was while this was happening, his brother Roy happened to be serving as Attorney General of Ontario!

John was a philosophy professor at U of G, and while I can't say I ever had the pleasure of being in one of his classes, I did have some interaction with him of sorts. Seems John and I shared a hashish supplier, and given his profile not only on campus but in the community, he was a bit of a star client. The dealer, who we'll just call "Doug," unexpectedly experienced what's known as an empty pipeline. All of a sudden Doug is at my door wondering if I might have a line on alternate sources.

As luck would have it, I did! For a few brief weeks I was the source of Professor McMurtry's hashish. Imagine that; supplying illegal drugs to the brother of the Attorney General!

Anyway, John must be getting on in years, but if this article is any indication, he's still got all his marbles rolling in the right direction.

Nice work, Professor!

No comments:

Post a Comment