Saturday, May 18, 2019

Fast cars and why I don't care anymore

I see where somebody paid two million US$ for a Hemi Cuda.

Those cars were languishing on dealer lots in late 1970. You could find a Hemi Cuda that had been on the lot for six months and was available at a good discount.

Now they're golden.

What has changed?


I was somewhat into the muscle car culture of the era. I recall a 1964 Impala SS pulling into John's Supertest on a regular basis. Had the two four-barrels and a four speed. It was maroon in colour.

It was for sale.

Buddy wanted eleven hundred for that car. It would easily fetch $100,000 at auction today.

But, times have changed. My new Toyota has a thing that shows my fuel usage after each trip. It motivates me to go light on the gas and see if I can beat the read-out from the last trip.


Instead of bragging about doing 150 miles an hour, I'm now bragging about getting 50 miles per gallon.



No comments:

Post a Comment