Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Update from Hillbilly Acres

I just realized that eight of my last ten posts were about serious political shit. At least I think it's serious. But holy shit, who wants to get depressed? Maybe that's why nobody reads my blog anymore.

Just to clarify, it's not all serious politics around here. Sometimes it's just serious.

Built up our hillbilly cred a little by having the old stove parked on the porch for a week or so. Nothing wrong with it, but the Farm Manager took a shine to those induction cooktops, and before you could say "get that piece of shit outta here," the old was out and the new was in.

They say that's what keeps the economy humming; throwing out perfectly good stuff so you can buy something new. Kinda embarrassed to admit I'm doing my part.

Dragged the old stove out to the road and put a "free" sign on it. No takers yet.

At least it's not on the porch anymore.

We've solved the existential vehicular crisis with a new Toyota Rav4. The latest Ravs are about twice the size of the original ones that came out in '96, which is not surprising. The modus operandi of the car companies is, after all, to make their shit "bigger and better" every year.

I'm not sure of the "better," but they certainly get bigger.

Four days after taking delivery of the Toyota, we lost the love of our lives, our dear beautiful Phil, when she went under the wheels of the neighbour's truck on the sideroad. I was walking her at the time.

The FM holds me responsible for this. It was, after all, her rule that I always keep the dog on the leash.

Of course, I didn't. So she has a point.

Terrible as that was, it could have been worse. My old pal Susan recently lost her dog to a car, and it was actually on the leash at the time.

Imagine how that's gotta feel.

The neighbour is a dog-lover a few years older than me. Two old guys standing on the sideroad crying over a dead dog. That's a memory I'd love to expunge if I could.


But, life goes on. The Farm Manager has, in the past couple of days, started sending me pictures of rescue dogs she's found on the internet...

Life goes on.




2 comments:

  1. “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”

    ― Will Rogers … and Ken from Port Moody, too. So sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ken. I've been around dogs most of my life. This girl was special. She is deeply missed.

    d

    ReplyDelete