Friday, September 14, 2012

Coyote duty at Falling Downs

The coyotes are getting bold. They took out one of Lundy's calves in the pasture just behind the house. In broad daylight no less.

That's why I spent the better part of the afternoon in that pasture, sitting in a lawn chair with a rifle on my lap.

Of course that becomes a case of the watched kettle never boiling. The coyotes are never going to show up when you're sitting out there in their field.

Hell, they probably ate a calf or two as soon as I gave up my watch.

But the experience did remind me of how fortunate I am to live a scene straight out of the lives of the Bedouin goat-herders of the Sinai or the homesteaders of the old west. 

While I never saw a coyote, I did get to watch the sun set behind the far ridge that marks the western boundary of Falling Downs.

Quite the spectacle.

And all of that without the benefit of a personal electronic device of any kind.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment