Tuesday, November 19, 2019

There's a mouse living in my Toyota

I shit you not! There's a f@cking mouse living in my Toyota, and it's not some 20 year old beater nicknamed "Rusty.

How does a mouse even get in your car?

Do they lurk in the grass, and leap in when you open the door?

If not, they must climb up a tire, navigate the various suspension parts, and then tunnel their way into the cabin.

I only became aware of my unwanted tenant because of a trip to Mill Creek Chocolates last week. I bought a dozen individually wrapped chocolates as a gift, and stuck them in the side-pocket of the door. When I reached for them the next day, the Mill Creek bag was there but the chocolates weren't.

I assumed somebody had broke into the car, (they can do this in about two seconds with these new and improved electronic door locks), filched the chocolates, and buggered off... they didn't even bother taking my wallet!

Although that scenario seems suspect in hindsight, it felt 100% plausible at the time.

I even shared that yarn with the folks at Mill Creek when I went back to repurchase my order.

The next day, I'm fishing around under the passenger seat for a carton of smokes I keep stashed there.

Four of the packs had been breached, and a couple of them actually had individual cigarettes pulled out of them...

That ain't no hit-and-run thief!


I hustled off to Home Hardware and bought myself an old-school mouse-trap. Fixed it up with a generous chunk 'o extra-old white cheddar, and set it on the floor mat right in front of me.

Next morning, nothing. Maybe Mr. Mouse was dead, OD'd on chocolate and tobacco. Not necessarily an unpleasant demise, if you stop and ponder it, but it made for a somewhat anxiety-inducing drive into town to fetch my morning paper.

I guess he was just comatose from his OD, because the next morning there was a nice plump rodent in the trap.


The cheese was gone, though, so at least he'd had a decent last meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment