Friday, November 15, 2019

Some helpful safety tips for cutting down that sixty foot tree

I've had a bit of a chain saw sub-theme going on in this blog pretty much from the beginning. Poulan vs. Stihl was one of my earliest masterpieces.

When I see a reader clicked on something I wrote years ago, I have to refresh my memory by clicking on it myself. That's why I'm reminded that a post called Montreal Wedding was actually more about dropping trees and chain saws.

I figure by this time I must have a few would-be tree-droppers in my audience. (BTW, this blog has two followers. There is no "follow" button on the blog that I am aware of. Are Mom and Dad really my only followers? And if so, how did they get to be followers if there's no "follow" button? An interesting familial conspiracy theory is brewing...)

So here's a couple of handy and potentially life-saving tips for you chain saw novices.

1. Quite often you'll need to put a little pressure on a tree to ensure it falls in the right direction. That can make all the difference between a successful drop and wiping out your barn. When you've got a chain around a sixty footer, make sure your chain is more than sixty feet long. Otherwise, your truck and anyone in it could be at grave risk.

2. I've been researching this stuff forever, and it looks to me like most accidental tree-dropping deaths are the result of the upper limbs of the tree falling on the guy holding the saw. That sixty foot dead elm could be mighty brittle in the upper reaches. An eight foot length of dead elm dropping from sixty feet means either certain brain injury, or if you're lucky, instant death.

That's because the vibrations from the saw as you're cutting through the trunk will dislodge some of the brittle stuff sixty feet overhead.

Here's how to save your life.

If you've got any kind of tractor or crawler-loader, give that tree trunk a good bunt before firing up your Poulan or Stihl. (I should stress that your tractor should have a sturdy cab. ) This will dislodge any loose limbs in the upper reaches of the tree.

If you're reading this and contemplating taking down a sixty footer, I may have just saved your life.


You're welcome!




No comments:

Post a Comment