Thursday, September 30, 2021

Take the money and run

Found a sublime bit of happy news in the paper today.

Ya, I said "paper."

I know, what kind of wackos are still reading newspapers in this day and age?

Well, me for one. It's a habit. I'm down to one a day, and sometimes I even conjure up the will-power to skip a day.

In the distant pre-internet age, the University of Guelph Library used to bring in a couple of dozen major papers every day. Depending on where it came from, you might have to read yesterday's news or even news from a week ago, but I used to sit in those over-stuffed loungers for hours getting caught up on news from around the world.

Now I'm down to a two-section Globe and Mail I'm expected to pay $4.20 for.

But I digress. Right there on the second page we meet Jens Haaning. Jens is an up-and-coming artist in Denmark. The Kunsten Museum of Modern Art, Denmark's MOMA, gave him $107,000 to produce an artwork for an upcoming show.

At exhibition time, the curtain comes up on the blank canvas Jens had submitted, titled Take the Money and Run.

Now that's clever! 

I'll be hoisting a few pints in your honour tonight, Herr Haanin!


No comments:

Post a Comment