Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Business as usual for Gadaffi's man in London

I was reading up on all the business opportunities available in the new NATO-fied Libya. Free at last, those Libyans. And there's a veritable Niagra Falls of money about to splash into the laps of all the people who are in the right place at the right time.

All that stuff we just spent eight months blowing to smithereens has to be rebuilt. And the NTC has made it known that as a gesture of gratitude they plan to give the juicy reconstruction contracts to the same folks that just finished blowing up their country. So obviously Libya is the right place.

I've got a few business ideas floating around. I'm thinking I could take Lucy and Boomer over and maybe get a contract guarding a pipeline or something. I'd need more than two dogs of course, but the Falling Downs hounds could be the core of my K-9 guard force. They know how to guard their doggie dishes, and I'm sure I could have them trained up for pipeline duty real quick. Just spread dog kibble all along our section of pipeline.

There's lots of pipelines in Libya, so if I get in quick I could corner the market. I'll be a billionaire in no time. But is this the right time? Not quite yet from what I've been reading, but soon, really soon...

So it was in doing this research that I happened upon the website of SOC Libya, a consultancy that will assist the aspiring entrepreneur to exploit the "vast opportunities" available in the country. Not just yet, mind you, but as soon as all those guys with rocket launchers calm down a bit. I'm thinking, oh, but aren't these NTC guys smart to set up an office in London. There's obviously at least one or two Wharton School MBAs behind this stroke of genius.

I'm scouring their website, and suddenly I realize it isn't Wharton School MBAs behind this, it was Gaddafi! SOC Libya was set up years ago. Still has the same guy in charge. Tarek Alwan. Sang the praises of the Monster of the Maghreb, the Tyrant of Tripoli, till well after the revolution was under way. Now he's shilling for the new Libya! Probably never missed a paycheck!

Mr. Alwan is one smart cookie. Maybe he has an MBA from Wharton, I don't know. But if he doesn't, they should offer him a professorship right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment