Sunday, January 6, 2013

Winter at Falling Downs

I have to say I don't count myself among the global warming deniers.

In fact, I'm a firm believer. I'm such a firm believer that I didn't bother hooking the snow-blower to the tractor. Nor did I bother getting the walk-behind snow-blower ready to go.

Everything was looking good till about a week before Christmas.

Then it snowed.

Snowed good.

Snowed some more.

My default snow-removal technology is the old Allis-Chalmers backhoe. In a pinch I can take a run down the drive with the bucket down and snow-be-gone in no time at all.

Unfortunately, she's a diesel, and she needs to be plugged in if you're going to start her up when the temperature drops below 40 degrees.

Which it obviously did if there is snow.

Which brings me to the conundrum. I had a 100 foot extension cord, but I left it in the back room over the summer. aka the woodshed. aka the dog shed.

Lucy likes to chew extension cords. So instead of a 100 foot extension cord, I now have multiple cords of random length, none of which will reach out to where the Allis was parked back when we still had global warming and thought winter would never come.

So between two tractors and a snow-blower I am left to clear the snow with...

A snow shovel.

Now I'm at the age where guys drop dead all the time just from looking at a snow shovel. This does not bode well. Hell, I'm having chest pains just thinking about it!

So we remain storm-stayed at Falling Downs. Luckily all my hard work with the Stihl is paying off. Cats are luxuriating on the heat vents. Boomer is curled up in the nook beside the piano. I'm not seeing Lucy, which probably means she's made herself at home in the spare bedroom.

It's all good for now. But I'm thinking in a couple days I'm going to have to make a run to the liquor store.

Better get shoveling...

No comments:

Post a Comment