Saturday, June 4, 2016

Shattering stereotypes about America's incarceration epidemic

I was idly perusing the Washington Post website when I ran across the above promise. Must say I was mightily intrigued!

Take a look.

Maybe prison life isn't that bad after all!

When I think prison stereotypes I think inhumane, degrading, dehumanizing. I think about some schmuck still paying his debt to society for a bad choice he made while on a booze binge forty years ago. I think about a kid who got life for lifting a bag of Doritos at the Seven Eleven in one of those "three strikes" states. I think about the teen, long since a man, and now a grandfather, who had the misfortune of being black while selling a narc a quarter ounce of weed.

But hey, it's not that bad, really! Apparently the inmates spend a lot of time cuddling bunnies, tickling turtles, and learning new skills that will help them integrate into society when they are finally paroled at age 85!

Thank you Washington Post for opening my eyes and shattering those stereotypes!

No comments:

Post a Comment