Sunday, May 20, 2012

Unmasking the anarchists: Montreal strikes back!

I've said it before and I'll say it again; show me four masked and hooded anarchists and I'll show you at least three undercover cops.

Maybe four.

So the by-law that the Ville de Montreal passed the other day banning masks in public protests is a mixed bag.

The by-law will impose crippling fines on protesters who are found guilty of wearing a mask at a demo.

That means I won't be able to wear that Steven Harper mask I've been fashioning out of paper mache the next time I'm in a demo in Montreal.

I've never been to a demo in Montreal, so this is unlikely to affect me.

Nor will it slow down those undercover cops who wear masks for obvious reasons. They'll be arrested, released, and given a promotion.

So exactly what will be achieved by the mask by-law is up in the air.

I'm guessing probably nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment