Friday, February 8, 2013

Junior shocks me again with plunge into electro-pop

I don't know where I went wrong. For the first year of this lad's life I walked him to sleep every night to Supertramp's Crime of the Century.

When it became obvious that he had chops that went considerably beyond anything ever exhibited by either of his parents, and his musical influences were the pantheon of classic British rock and the American blues masters, I thought maybe I had the next Jack White in the house.

For my money, I preferred those rip-snorting Tom Waites rip-offs he used to do.

And it was my money. Wasn't a Christmas or a birthday went by without him needing another weapon for his arsenal. A saxophone here, a bigger amplifier there, another guitar... I don't hear any of that stuff on his latest masterpiece.

But I do hear a young man who is maturing both as a musician and a songwriter.

Nice work Jake!

No comments:

Post a Comment