Saturday, February 23, 2013

Revelstoke fantasies

I was but a youngster when I first thumbed my way through that neck of the woods.

But the beauty of that neck of the woods has stuck with me ever since.

There was a Shell station just off the Trans Canada Highway at the time. I'd had some experience managing John's Supertest well before that. I knew how to pump gas.

Any fucking idiot knows how to pump gas, which is why self-serve destroyed jobs for millions of teens across North America.

But there's ways to make sure the customer stops at your place instead of the next place.

Competitive price.

Clean every windshield every time.

Act like you care even when you couldn't possibly care less.

That's the magic formula that made John's Supertest the second most productive gas station by volume in the entire city.

So when I passed through Revelstoke it briefly occurred to me that I could make a go of that Shell station just off the Trans Canada.

But I thought I had places to go and things to do.

1 comment:

  1. Filled up there many times myself on the way through town. There used to be a Smitty's attached to it. When younger used to ride freights instead of thumb.

    ReplyDelete