Sunday, December 11, 2011

Einstein omits 'o' ring, huge mess ensues

I had just about convinced myself that I was going to look in the instruction manual on how to hook up those hydraulic lines, and I thought, what am I doing? I've got this far in life without owner manuals or instruction booklets of any kind. Why start now?

Besides, there's a certain stubborn pride on the line here. So I toughed it out, and sure enough had the whole thing together in another hour.

Topped up the gas and filled the hydraulic tank with 50 wt. oil. She was ready to go to work!

One thing bothers me with these "some assembly required" deals. Why are there always parts left over? Doesn't matter what it is. When I put together the air hockey table there were four little allen screws left over. Last lawnmower I bought, two sheet metal screws and a wing nut. Sometimes I figure it's just some bored eight year old in that factory in China throwing something extra in there as a practical joke. You know, he's working for forty cents a day but he gets the last laugh type of thing.

In this case there was a 3/8 'o' ring. Just one, in its very own little bag. Didn't seem to match the diameters of any of the hydraulic fittings, so without giving it a whole lot of thought I just figured, nice try kid, and carried on.

On the third pull the six and a half horses sprang to life. Let her purr along a few minutes to pressurize the lines, and then I gave the lever a nudge. The ram starts to move and then....

WHOABABY! One of my connections is spraying hydraulic fluid all over me, the drum kit, the treadmill, the workbench... my down-filled Tommy Hilfiger vest is ruined.

Might have to consult the instruction manual after all. Luckily it was still in its plastic case and didn't catch any spray.

No comments:

Post a Comment