Friday, December 9, 2011

Margaret Wente gets it right

Give credit where credit is due, that's my motto, or one of my mottos anyway.

Wente gets the luxury of a daily column in Canada's newspaper of record. All too often she comes off sounding like a shill for the Right to Work lobby. Unions bad, hard work good, that kind of stuff. Doesn't seem to appreciate that union folks do lots of hard work.

Anyway, I'm about to forgive her for all that stuff. Had an article in the paper today where she actually came across as empathetic to the unionized teachers. Admitted that the sorry state of education isn't the fault of the folks in the trenches.

I know a few teachers. Mainly run into them at the liquor store. Not hard to see why they need a drink once you hear their stories.

"Oh, Kyle called me a douche bag today and I was called into the office to apologize to him."

"Jason threw a chair at me and I was called into the office to explain why I made him do that."

"Billy has only attended three times and hasn't done any work. I had to explain to the office why his mark is zero."

There seems to be a generation of kids coming up who have been conditioned to believe that the sun shines out of their assholes and that if anything ever goes wrong it's their parents' fault, their teachers' fault, or the systems' fault. No way it's ever going to be their fault.

It's endemic. And they're graduating every year. Can't read or write or spell "shit" but damn do they ever know they're special. Coming soon to a welfare office or a prison near you.

And it really isn't their fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment