Sunday, January 22, 2012

Too much snow shuts down ski resort

That's a bummer when that happens. Too much snow at a ski resort?

Mind you, the resort in question is Hermon in northern Israel. They tend to rely on artificial snow a lot. Israel has never been a big market for snow tires or ski vacations.

Usually when I contemplate a ski vacation I think Whistler or Colorado. And contemplate is about as far as it gets.

First of all, I'd have to learn to ski. Tried it once, at the Chickopee ski hill in Kitchener. I was still standing at the top when my skiis arrived at the bottom. Just lucky some six year old didn't get a ski through the forehead.

Kind of a deadly form of recreation from what I understand. Took the life of a top free-styler just this past week. And I think one of the Kennedys bought it on skiis, and Sonny of Sonny and Cher fame if I remember correctly.

Not that I haven't had some great adventures on ski slopes, but they've usually been in the summer. I remember once hiking up a mountain near Innsbruck in Austria. It was one of those misty brooding days that reminds you of a Procol Harem album cover. I climbed and climbed, getting closer to God with every step.

As I neared the top, through the fog and the mist I thought I heard voices. Angels!

No, they were speaking German... couldn't be.

I rounded the last turn in the trail and there before me was a ski resort, the top end of a gondola lift that came up the other side of the mountain. I'd hiked through fog and rain all day to glimpse the face of God when for a few pfennigs I could have taken a tram.

God wasn't there anyway, so it didn't really matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment