Sunday, April 19, 2015

What the hell has happened to country music?

I'm watching Miranda Lambert at the American Country Music Awards. Gotta say I haven't seen so many lasers since I saw that Roger Waters show in Toronto a couple years ago.

Overall, I'd say country music has come a long way since the days of Tanya Tucker and the days of the coal miners daughter even before that.

It's an overtly Christian genre by the looks of things. This is the only awards show on TV where it's de rigueur to thank the Lord Jesus Christ for your good fortune. Makes me wonder if there's such a thing as an Islamic country musician.

"I just wanna thank Allah for this award" isn't something you're likely to hear at the ACMs anytime soon.

Mind you, Broke-back Mountain broke some barriers, so a Muslim singing cowboy songs is a possibility...

No comments:

Post a Comment